Operator decries skill shortage in furniture industry

Written by on November 22, 2023

The Chief Executive Officer of DO.II Designs Ltd, Ifeyinwa Ighodalo has shed light on the hurdles faced by Nigeria’s furniture industry, highlighting a significant skill gap and scarcity of dollars.

Addressing journalists in Lagos on Tuesday, Ighodalo disclosed these challenges while also unveiling the upcoming DO.II Big Black Friday sales.

She said the impact of the scarcity of dollars and high exchange rates is evident in the market prices of furniture items.

Ighodalo revealed that more than 80 per cent of the raw materials required for manufacturing designs and furniture are locally sourced, while the remaining 20 per cent are imported.

He added that the company imports some items, such as conference tables, to cater to diverse clientele needs.

From imported fabric to decorations, Ighodalo acknowledged the industry’s progress in reducing reliance on foreign sources.

However, she noted the continuous challenge of fluctuating prices, even within short timeframes, affecting operational costs.

Notably, she expressed concern about the insufficient tree planting in Nigeria, allowing the Western World to exploit this oversight.

Ighodalo said, “Some of those who are not able to import directly come to DO.II Designs Ltd because of the dollar challenge.”


Tagged as

Current track